Monday 17 February 2014

Flames and cardboard update

Just a brief update on the scene: I've been doing a bit more work, responding to feedback and polishing and tweaking assets.
(lighting not built properly in this shot)


The main addition was the flame effect to the candles/lanterns, which really served to bring the scene to life. To make this, I made an emissive candle texture and flickered it with a particle effect.

Boxes

I've also added the cardboard boxes to the scene. When I first made the blockouts, I intended for them to be separate low-resolution textures; now, I feel it would be more efficient and quicker to work from one 1024/1024, with the ability to downscale if needed.


I crafted the highpoly boxes from using symmetry on the original open lowpoly boxes: this way, I could make my highpoly adhere to the box's construction and I could "fold" the highpoly into shape in Max.


I then took the highpoly into Zbrush and did a quick sculpt to show folds, creases and punctures in the side, lending it some extra character.


The end result came out well and was surprisingly easy to make :)

Surface-Mounted Electrics

The last niggling asset was the electric conduits on the walls; for this I did the standard high-to-low workflow, adding a bit of decorative elements to the metal of the light switch;


The result was quite nice: I again fit all these assets onto a single sheet of 1024/1024.


Future plans are to finish the hookah, which I have a nice highpoly made:


And then, to texture some bongs.
Following that? I can spend the time polishing my work, adding more stuff and tweaking the environment.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment