Friday 6 December 2013

Update on progress

I've not updated in a couple of days, but I can at least show you what i've been working on. Firstly:
Here's a hi-res screenshot of my current progress. I've been using Lightmass to build, which gives me much better lighting, and I've also textured the plant pots.



The plant pots were originally ceramic, but I realised that hippies would never have the funds for all those pots, especially to provide for an operation as big as featured in the concept, so I went with plastic pots. I created a highpoly to catch the detail on the pots' bottom.


And here's the finished pots To make the rope I used a rope texture and used Ndo to generate normals for it, as well as highpoly modelling the grooves in the string.



I've also been working on the speaker, which I am currently in the process of finishing up the highpoly in time for baking to the new lowpoly. I prefer to start with a lowpoly and then unwrap/lightmap that for my baking workflow, as this saves time on having to retopologise the highpoly. For the grill on the front of the speaker, I have used a mask to provide the effect. on a plane, unwrapped to make as efficient a use of UV space as possible.



In terms of research, I recently discovered that Epic employee Jordan Walker has allowed his Bathhouse scene to be downloaded and observed by any willing parties, so I acquired a copy of his files  for study. I discovered that a lot of the DX11 features, such as Image-based reflections are used in his work, as well as fresnel effects: in particular his shader trees were quite informative, and I will continue to pick through his scene to learn as much as possible.

This weekend I hope to bring more updates:  as an aside I decided to leave the skybox for now and focus on interior assets. Thanks for reading :)






No comments:

Post a Comment