Sunday 24 November 2013

Bricks are the best thing ever made.

As you could probably tell by the nature of this post, the brick texture has been changed considerably. Following the advice of my contact, I redid the entire brick texture from scratch, even using my own photographs for texturing. The result, when compared to the previous texture, is striking:
Following the advice given to me, I played around with the spacing, color, mortar and made cracked and chipped bricks in my sculpt. I also baked the texture using depth grab as a heightmap onto a plane and got the AO and cavity from there in Xnomal. I then overlayed the matcap white from Zbrush to bring out the detail and used a photo of a brick wall to texture (much better than polypainting for this particular texture). Here's an example of a Matcap:

And lastly, I made three variants: Normal brick, chipped and broken brick, and brick that had been handpainted by the hippies, perhaps to try and colour the wall to their tastes. the result, when texture blending was used, is this:
The brick in this screenshot is the result of that, much better by far and has enough variance to look really visually interesting.
Another great idea given to me was the use of edge decals, as displayed above: essentially, a curved mesh is overlayed with a texture to get the look of chipped material. The one I created was really brief but does the job, looking great at a distance and removing the sharp edge.

That's all for now. Have a nice render:
(side note: my contact informed me that the game I am emulating has a texture size limit of 1024/1024. I will try and scale down my textures to conform to this in the future of this project)





No comments:

Post a Comment