Monday 25 November 2013

Wallpaper micro-update

I found I enjoyed texture painting, so I used it to add some much-needed sparkle to the wallpaper texture.

For my workflow, I first measured out the exact size of the section of wall in UU, and then made this in blocks in 3DS Max(my grid was set to UU units). I then put the existing wallpaper texture on a plane and duplicated this to match the wallpaper blockout:



After I lightmapped it, I put the mesh in UDK and fit it to my wall, ready for vertex painting. Since the brick had gone so well, I wanted some variation on the wall too, to show the disrepair of the environment and the shoddy decorating job the occupants had done, so I came up with the peeling wallpaper idea.

For this, I combined vertex painting with a custom shader tree I found on the Internet, which I have detailed below(the Wizardry section is the new technique):


What I found when ordinarily using vertex painting is that the falloff is always very soft, and since it stems from vertices it  can't hope to simulate the randomness of plaster/paper tearing unless the mesh was tesselated hugely. What this shader does is allow the vertex nodes to control an Alpha cloud texture, which is clamped to the values 0 and 1(on or off respectively) this same Alpha is also rotated and added in order to preserve tiling. This cloud then controls the distribution of the plaster texture in a more organic fashion, and since the value is clamped results in hard edges, perfect for wallpaper.

I've included the shader above to share the knowledge, as it is perfect for peeling wallpaper. I'm going to do more work on it, I enjoy playing with shaders. 

Next up is to do the same for the other wallpaper, and tweak the mesh to make it look more peeled. Stay tuned, thanks for reading :)



No comments:

Post a Comment