Wednesday 13 November 2013

Update: Floor plans, kitchen nightmares and lots of cannabis

Today I have been working on remodelling the layout of the environment, as in the stuff outside of the concept: if I'm going to have a coherent room, there needs to be some consideration to the rest of the environment too.
Here's a diagram of my processes, along with some reference from Chicago itself.

I eventually decided on the more modern variant for now, as with the more classic version the room shape looks a lot more boring. As for the room as it stands:
Here I've textured the ceiling, added more meshes and other aspects. Why a wooden ceiling, when the concept looks plain, you ask? Well, all the research and ref material I have gathered about attic conversions (as well as promo shots of the game itself) show that often the exterior wood panelling is left exposed for a stylistic touch, and is rarely plastered over. Considering the nature of the environment and its occupants, the likelihood of this being plastered over is mimimal. Plus, it looks nicer. 
Here's a shot of the new kitchen location:
For now, it can stay there; I can easily move it back into the corner if I have more time and more assets to block it out, or even wall it in and make a hatch. One thing's for sure is that its old position looked pretty ridiculous, and not conforming to Chicago architecture.
I also made cannabis leaves using a new foliage workflow I will detail later, and I have also adapted the model of the Chinese-style bookcase to make a corner unit, as seen below:
That's all for now. this week, I want to focus on completing my base modelling for the assets in the concept, and then get on with highpoly and sculpting. Lots more to do yet!





No comments:

Post a Comment